Top TESOL / TEFL / TESL / ELT Degree / Certification Programs Review:
You can find detailed information, on these pages, about top TESOL programs (or certification programs) in the world. First read our guide on how to choose a good TESOL program, and then decide accordingly on what kind of TESOL degree (or certificate) you would like to have. From the menu bar on the left, you can also see what we think are some of the good TESOL programs in the world. These pages provide a list of the best TESOL programs and departments at the undergraduate, MA and PhD levels respectively, as well as a guide and links to online TESOL courses and degrees. Though we think our lists are comprehensive enough, it is up to you to make the decision among them (or others) depending on your own needs.                                                                                                                                                        

From the menu buttons on this page, you can reach our lists of top TESOL departments in the world.  Please be advised though that these lists are by no means rankings.  You need to rank your top choices depending on what exactly you want and where exactly you want to study (ie. Would you prefer to study in an applied linguistics program or in an education faculty? Would you prefer to study in the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, etc.?)


TESOL is the acronym for "teaching English to speakers of other languages."  The area is sometimes referred to as TESL or TEFL, too, depending on where one teaches English:  If English is being taught in a country where it is the official language (such as the USA, England, Canada, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand), then, normally the term TESL is used: "Teaching English as a Second Language" as opposed to TEFL, which is an acronym for "Teaching English as a Foreign Language."  The latter is used if English is taught in a country where it is not the official language.  For instance, if the country is Japan, China, Korea, Russia, Turkey, Germany, France, etc., then, using the term TEFL is normally more acceptable.  However, nowadays, both terms are used interchangeably.  If, nevertheless, you want to use a term that is neural, then TESOL would be the correct term.

What are the qualifications for a TESOL degree?

The qualifications that are required of TESOL students depend on the country where one is located.  For example, in the United States, the best way to qualify as a TESOL instructor is to get an MA degree in TESOL, though a BA degree in TESOL is enough in certain cases.  In order to teach English at universities or colleges, usually an MA degree is enough.  However, if one wants to be really involved in the academic side of TESOL, then, a PhD degree in TESOL is required. One final thing to take into account is that teachers in all states in the US are required to have a state licensing. This means that one needs to get a state license in addition to the degree he or she gets from an accredited university (usually by means of a number of exams).  Some universities might already be state licensed.  If, however, your purpose is to get the TESOL degree in the United States, and then to teach abroad, then, you do not usually need to worry about the state licensing.  Note that our pages list only those universities and colleges that are offline, and Internet colleges are not listed, though some Internet colleges might also be offering TESOL certificate degrees.  Finally, scholarship resources are not listed, but universities and colleges listed on these pages all offer such services, and can direct you to college and/or high school scholarships, depending on what your education and grade level are.


The British Qualifications vary slightly though they are basically the same as American qualifications.  In most cases, a certificate course is required such as a simple TESOL/TESL certificate or a CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults), DELTA ( Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults), or CertTESOL (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).

In addition to these, there are also some international TESOL standards for TESOL/TESL/TEFL jobs.


TESOL Certification Programs:

Visit our pages for TESOL Certification Programs at the Graduate Level and/or Other TESOL Certification Programs depending on which of the two is the one you are interested in.  Currently, only North American universities are listed. The American states that are represented in our lists are the following: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming. And TESOL certification and BA, MA, PhD degree programs in the following Canadian provinces and territories are represented: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan, and Yukon Territory. Big American cities like NYC, Washington, DC, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Baltimore, Boston, Miami, Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Denver, Detroit, Dallas, Columbus, Indianapolis, or Canadian cities such as Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc. are also among locations that are represented quite frequently in our lists. 


TheLinguist.Org © 2007